Thursday 19 August 2010

Cruise Calls: Onboard Extras For A Lot Extra

Recently I've been planning a cruise and came across the Royal Caribbean website while trying to find out the best way of contacting home. However the extortionate fees made me run for the hills (or upper decks) looking for something that doesn't require me to mortgage my house to call it.



I did some further research, being recommended by many to use Skype.. which would require buying a laptop, then paying Skype's rates to a land line or cell phone of 2.4-2.2 cents per minute (or less) for an international call. Even then I'd need to pay to use the onboard internet access fees. For example, Norwegian Cruise Line offers a package of 33 minutes for $25 - 75 cents a minute.. before I buy a laptop, pay for Skypes fees.. going over $3 a minute at least (before I consider the cost of a laptop).

If I use my own mobile I'll be subject to any roaming fees my mobile phone provider deems appropriate. Others had the same requirements for me to buy a laptop and pay for access per minute/data fees.

Fortunately I found that renting a satellite phone would be the cheapest option overall on board a cruise ship. I'd only have to pay a daily rental fee (than buying a laptop and then the Skype+internet access fees), and was more cost effective than the international roaming charge my cell provider was going to charge me (plus a charge to activate it) and then the additional cost per minute call charges.

The largest advantage of this is that I can use it from anywhere at all at exactly the same rate. While I can use the antenna extension to get access from the privacy of my own cabin I can freely walk around outside the ship calling home stress free. Plus I love to walk while I'm talking on the phone.

Further Reading:

Wikipedia List of Cruise Ships
$6.95 'economical' calls to Cruise Ships